Apricot-Pecan Thumbprint Cookies
I enjoy experimenting with cake mixes to make new cookie recipes. I love apricot, but feel free to fill the thumbprint in the center of these goodies with any fruit preserve you like. —Nancy Johnson, Laverne, Oklahoma
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 15 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 7 dozen
- 2 packages yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup canola oil
- 6 large eggs, divided use
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 tablespoons water
- 4 cups finely chopped pecans, divided
- 2/3 cup apricot preserves
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 to 5 tablespoons water
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, beat cake mix, flour, oil, 4 eggs, cinnamon and ginger until well blended.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk water and remaining eggs. Place half of the pecans in another shallow bowl. Shape dough into 1-in. balls. Dip in egg mixture, then coat with pecans, adding remaining pecans to bowl as needed. Place cookies 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- Press a deep indentation in center of each cookie with the end of a wooden spoon handle. Fill each with preserves. Bake 12-14 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, combine confectioners' sugar and enough water to achieve a drizzling consistency. Drizzle over cookies. Let stand until set.
Freeze option: Freeze drizzled cookies, layered between waxed paper, in freezer containers. To use, thaw in covered containers.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 124 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 88mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.