Frosted Spice Cookies
This recipe has been handed down through many generations of my husband's family. The cookies were always in his grandmother's cookie jar when he'd visit. Today, he enjoys them more than ever—and so do I. —Debbie Hurlbert, Howard, Ohio
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min./batch + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, 5-7 minutes. Beat in egg; beat in molasses and buttermilk. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in the walnuts, raisins and dates. Chill for 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- On a floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a 2-1/2-in. round cookie cutter.
- Place on greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes. Cool completely.
- For frosting, beat all ingredients in a small bowl until smooth. Spread over cooled cookies; let dry completely.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 149 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 94mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.