Pecan Thumbprint Cookies
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 1-1/2 dozen
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup finely chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1/2 cup preserves or jelly of your choice
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolk and vanilla. Combine flour and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Shape dough into 1-in. balls; roll in egg white, then in pecans. Using the end of a wooden spoon handle, make an indentation in the center of each ball. Cover and freeze until firm. Transfer cookie dough balls to a large resealable plastic freezer bag. May be frozen for up to 3 months.
- To use frozen cookie dough: Place dough balls 2 in. apart on baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 17-20 minutes or until set. Remove to wire racks. While warm, fill each with a teaspoonful of preserves. Cool completely.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 142 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 73mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fat, 1 starch.
Dec 23, 2014
Tasty. I'll make them again.
Dec 1, 2014
This is a cookie that I often include on holiday cookie trays. They are easy to make and they are so pretty! I love using different flavors/colors of jelly and preserves to make an attractive preesentation. Instead of jelly or preserves, I sometimes pipe colored icing into the centers.
Aug 30, 2013
This recipe was easy! I had them done in less than an hour, and that includes baking time. They disappeared very quickly at the event I bought them too.
Dec 12, 2012
When rolling the cookies in the nuts you do not have roll the cookies in the egg whites before rolling them in the nuts. the dough is so sticky that the nuts stick to the cookie dough really well.
Dec 16, 2011
Absolutely delicious! :-) Extremely simple to make. I actually cooked the jam with the cookie instead of adding it afterward. Loved it! I would most likely double the recipe for double delight!
Dec 10, 2010
This is my favorite recipe! Easy! Little time comsuming but EASY!
Mar 17, 2010
these are one of my very favorite cookies, and my hubbies ABSOLUTE favorite. The best jelly to use is currant.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.