Frosted Carrot Cake Cookies
I took my favorite carrot cake recipe and slightly tweaked it to make cookies. Just like the cake, the yummy bites are filled with shredded carrot, pineapple and raisins —and topped with a homemade cream cheese frosting. —Lawrence Earl, Sumner, Michigan
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 4-1/2 dozen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1/2 cup crushed pineapple, drained and patted dry
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- Toasted chopped walnuts, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter, sugar and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Stir in carrot, pineapple and raisins.
- Drop dough by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake 10-12 minutes or until light brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Gradually beat in confectioners’ sugar, vanilla and enough milk to reach a spreading consistency. Frost cookies. If desired, sprinkle with walnuts. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Freeze option: Drop dough by tablespoonfuls onto waxed paper-lined baking sheets; freeze until firm. Transfer to resealable plastic freezer bags; return to freezer. To use, bake cookies as directed.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 129 calories, 4g fat (3g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 81mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as carrot cake cookies in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2017