Carrot Cake Cookies
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon each baking soda, salt and ground cinnamon
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1/2 cup each raisins and chopped pecans
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add egg and vanilla; mix well. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Gradually add to creamed mixture until blended. Stir in carrots, raisins and pecans.
- Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 325° for 12-15 minutes or until edges are lightly browned and cookies are set. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 95 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 72mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 fat, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fruit.
Jun 16, 2012
I forgot to add that using a small cookie scoop ( about 1") & heaping each scoop, I got 39 -2" cookies. If you used the raisins or pineapple you would get even more!
Jun 16, 2012
I just made these cookies to serve to guests at my B&B. I had been looking for something that would be diabetic friendly & I thought these sounded good. I did change a few things tho to make them even better for diabetics & a bit more healthy.I used a mixture of brown sugar & splenda (1/2c brown sugar & 1/4 c splenda), 1c unbleached all purpose flour & 1/2c Whole wheat flour,3/4 tsp cinnamon & 1/4 tsp nutmeg. I also left out the raisins to lower the sugar count. They turned out great, except I like my carrot cake more spicy, so next time I will try at least a tsp of cinnamon & maybe a bit more nutmeg. I would also like to experiment with the fat & cholesterol content by using 1/2 unsweetened applesauce for the butter & egg whites for the eggs. I almost always substitute some applesauce for the fat & use egg whites, but I was in a hurry & needed them to turn out the 1st time! some unsweetened, drained crushed pineapple instead of the raisins might be nice too! Hmmmmm!!!
Dec 25, 2008
I made these cookies for the first time and they turned out great!! They taste just a little cake and my boyfriend says all they need is that cream cheese frosting.... but then that would defeat the purpose of them being low fat, they are not overly sweet and they taste really good, I will definitely make them again. I am diabetic so I didnt feel guilty eating them. YUM!!!
Jul 8, 2008
I have made these delicious cookies several times. I have to triple the recipe because my two boys love them so much. The cookies have always turned out great, light and yummy. Perhaps the other reviewer's baking soda or baking powder was 'off'?
Jun 20, 2008
I made these cookies and they were terrible. They did not rise, and did not cook all the way through. thanks