Carrot Raisin Cake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 55 min. + cooling
- 1 cup raisins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups grated carrots
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon orange juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- Toss raisins with 2 tablespoons flour; set aside. In a large, beat the brown sugar, oil and eggs until well blended. In another large bowl, combine the baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and remaining flour; gradually beat into sugar mixture until blended. Stir in carrots and reserved raisins.
- Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake at 325° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Beat in orange juice and vanilla. Gradually add confectioners' sugar; beat until light and fluffy. Spread over cake. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 516 calories, 22g fat (8g saturated fat), 84mg cholesterol, 411mg sodium, 77g carbohydrate (61g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Apr 10, 2012
This cake is delicious! I used whole wheat flour and no one even noticed the difference. YUM!~ Theresa
Feb 25, 2012
Excellent cake. I tasted the frosting at 3 cups and thought it was sweet enough so I stopped at 3 versus 3 3/4 cups.
Oct 30, 2011
I made this the other day for my Dad's birthday party. Everyone absolutely loved it. Very easy to make.