Raisin Spice Cake
This recipe is an old-time favorite that was given to me by my mother-in-law. She told me the cake shouldn't be eaten the day it's baked...aging makes it so much better. She once entered this cake in a contest and won first prize!
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 2 cups raisins
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a saucepan, combine raisins and water. Cook until plump. Drain and set aside raisins, reserving 10 tablespoons cooking liquid.
- In a bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Combine flour, cinnamon, cloves nutmeg and salt; set aside. Combine milk, soda, eggs and reserved cooking liquid. Add dry ingredients alternately with milk mixture to creamed mixture. Stir in cooked raisins. Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Just before serving, sprinkle with confectioners' sugar.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 340 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 207mg sodium, 64g carbohydrate (42g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.