Special Raisin Pie
When I first made this pie, I thought it was great. Then I entered it at the county fair and I guess the judges thought it was great, too, since it won first place. —Laura Fall-Sutton, Buhl, Idaho
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 2-1/2 cups raisins
- 2 cups water
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon rum extract
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a small saucepan, combine raisins and water. Bring to a boil; cook 2 minutes. Add sugars and salt; cook until sugars are dissolved. Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; gradually stir into the pan. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Remove from the heat; stir in the juices, zests and extract.
- Roll out half of the pastry to fit a 9-in. pie plate; transfer pastry to pie plate. Fill with raisin mixture. Dot with butter.
- Roll out remaining pastry; make a lattice crust. Trim, seal and flute edges. Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly, covering edges with foil during the last 10 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 481 calories, 17g fat (8g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 266mg sodium, 82g carbohydrate (46g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Special Raisin Pie in Taste of Home Recipes Across America