Grandma’s Sour Cream Raisin Pie
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 10 min.
- 1 cup raisins
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts, optional
- 1 pie shell (9 inches), baked
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- In a small saucepan, place raisins and enough water to cover; bring to a boil. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, the sugar, cornstarch, salt, cloves and cinnamon. Stir in sour cream and milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir for 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Drain raisins, reserving 1/2 cup liquid. Gently stir liquid into filling. Add raisins, and nuts if desired. Pour into pie shell.
- For meringue, in a small bowl, beat egg whites and salt on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. Spread over hot filling, sealing edges to crust.
- Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour; refrigerate for 1-2 hours before serving. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 381 calories, 15g fat (7g saturated fat), 82mg cholesterol, 253mg sodium, 58g carbohydrate (40g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Jun 22, 2014
This pie had an absolutely delicious flavor - the cloves and cinnamon were just the right touch. (I didn't include the nuts.) Beautiful to look at when done too - great recipe!
Nov 7, 2010
A friend asked me to make him one and I was pleasantly suprised at how good it was. I picked this recipe blind as I has never heard of it before. He had said he had some in Montana somewhere...... How do you keep meringue from weeping????
Nov 7, 2009
I love this pie - Marie Calendar's no longer has it on there menu - now I can make this delicious old fashioned goodness pie>
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.