Grandma’s Chocolate Meringue Pie
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 5 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3 large egg yolks, room temperature, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 3 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- In a saucepan, mix sugar, cocoa, cornstarch and salt; gradually add milk. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes more. Remove from heat. Stir about 1 cup of the hot filling into the egg yolks. Return to saucepan and bring to a gentle boil. Cook and stir 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in vanilla. Pour hot filling into pie crust.
- For meringue, immediately beat egg whites with cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar and continue to beat until stiff and glossy. Spread evenly over hot filling, sealing meringue to pie crust. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until golden.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 317 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 93mg cholesterol, 227mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (31g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 6, 2019
So yummy! I made this for my husband’s birthday a few years ago because Chocolate merengue is his favorite. He absolutely loved it! I have been making it for him since.
Jan 3, 2019
If you know how to make banana pudding from scratch, this recipe is for you. If you use instant, I would skip this recipe. This pie is perfect!
Dec 25, 2018
I followed the recipe exactly and the pie came out perfect! First pie I’ve made in many years.
Jun 16, 2018
Just like my grannie’s pie! Ive made it twice now, zero issues!!
Jun 3, 2018
This is the recipe I've been looking for. I've made 3 pies so far, and all have turned out perfect. My grandmother made wonderful chocolate pies, and she would tell me the ingredients but not the amounts. When I came across this recipe, I knew I'd found the one she used. Thanks! Love the pie and the memories revisited when eating it.
Apr 11, 2018
Pie turned out beautifully and the filling was smooth and thick when I made it, but when I cut into it to serve dinner guests last night it had turned to liquid; I did temper the eggs. I’ve racked my brain as to why that would happened; I feel somewhat better knowing I wasn’t the only one that had a liquid pie...I can’t figure this one out! Taste was good...otherwise it was a disaster.
Mar 27, 2018
The directions are the problem. The reason SI many people have running filling is because the directions should say to TEMPER THE EGGS BY PUTTING A CUP IF THE THICKENED FILLING INTO THE YOLKS WHILE STIRRING THEM VIGOROUSLY. THEN PUT THE YOLK MIXTURE INTO THE POT AND CONTINUE TO COOK IT, Stirring continuously for ...minutes. The original instructions leave out returning the egg yolk mixture to the pot.
Mar 14, 2018
DON’T TAKE THE CHANCE. I literally created a log in just so I could rate this pie. I followed the instructions to a tee, and I don’t even want to wait for this thing to chill, I just want to throw it all in the trash without even tasting it. Total liquid at the top. Your grandma was right to apologize. Chocolate instant pudding in a pie crust would have had a better review. So disappointing. Please remove this recipe.
Jan 29, 2018
RUNNY. We are experienced pie makers. How is it that this is runny for many people who made it, and perfect for quite a few others????
Jan 23, 2018