Mom’s Lemon Custard Pie
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1 unbaked pie pastry (9 inches)
- Whipped cream, lemon slice and mint sprig, optional
- Preheat oven to 325°. In a large bowl, beat sugar and butter until well blended. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add milk, flour and salt; mix well. Stir in lemon juice and zest; set aside. In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; gently fold into lemon mixture.
- Pour into pie shell. Bake 1 hour or until lightly browned and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool. Garnish with whipped cream, lemon and mint, if desired. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 261 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 167mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Apr 13, 2018
Amazing refreshingly light lemon pie. I made it with a homemade crust and this was the perfect summer dessert! It was great warm, room temp or cold.
Sep 2, 2017
Wasn't bad. Was very favorable, east to make and I had all the ingredients already but the pie crust. Will make again but next time I will try lime.
Aug 1, 2017
This is my great grandmother's Lemon Sponge Pie recipe...if you want to boost the lemon flavor, increase the amount of lemon zest, and sub the milk with buttermilk. You won't be sorry!
Nov 20, 2016
Yep....this is a "keeper" recipe!!! Glad to see the hint about using 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract in lieu of lemon zest....all the other ingredients I usually have on hand but don't always have a lemon. (BTW...I used bottled lemon juice...we always have that). Love recipes I can thow together and not have to run to the store!
Nov 3, 2016
After seeing this in the list of pies for the holidays I knew I had to try it, because it sounded like one my Aunt Sara used to make when we visited when I was young, (very young) I'm 71 now. So off to the kitchen I went , and followed it every step of the way. It's cooling now and it smells heavenly in here. Wish I had more lemons and I would have made 2.It's cooled down to room temp. that's all I need for a small taste, it tastes like I remember. Thank you for whisking time back for me. This goes in my keeper file.
Aug 27, 2016
Made this pie for my mom' birthday. She loved it. It was very refreshing. Only thing I changed is instead of lemon zest, I used 1/2 tsp of lemon extract. Delicious!
Jul 27, 2016
My husband enjoyed this tasty pie. It has plenty of lemon flavor.
Apr 28, 2016
Fantastic pie !! I have been making 2 every Friday night for the restaurant and they are sold out by 6:30pm. Thanks for sharing
Apr 28, 2016
Made this pie a few times, everybody loves it,nice change from plain custard.
Apr 9, 2016
this is the absolute pie I have ever made!!! Made for a dinner party and all enjoyed. I am making it again today but only baking for50 miutes!!! Thank you
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.