Mom’s Lemon Sugar Cookies
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min. per batch
Makesabout 5 dozen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in lemon zest and extract. In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake until lightly browned, 7-10 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 88 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 95mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Mar 25, 2019
Stephanie, you need to add part of the flour, then part of the buttermilk (to the creamed mixture), then more flour, then more buttermilk and end up with flour last . So that is flour 3 times and buttermilk 2 times. I hope this helps your confusion.
Mar 23, 2019
I'm kind of confused. It says alternate adding flour
Dec 17, 2018
I like lemon cookies, so I just put in a little extra lemon zest. These cookies as stated are light and very tasty. My new favorite cookie!