Mom’s Lemon Sugar Cookies
These tender, soft sugar cookies have just a hint of lemon. If you like more lemon flavor, go ahead and kick it up a notch. It's also fantastic made with orange instead. —Nancy Foust, Stoneboro, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min. per batch
Makesabout 5 dozen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in lemon zest and extract. In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake until lightly browned, 7-10 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 88 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 95mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Mom's Lemon Sugar Cookie in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.