Mom’s Citrus Buttermilk Cake
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 5 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 5 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour a 10-in. fluted tube pan.
- Cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add 1 egg at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in extract. In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating after each addition.
- Transfer to prepared pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 45-50 minutes.
- Poke holes in warm cake using a fork or wooden skewer. Mix glaze ingredients; spoon slowly over cake. Cool 15 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack; cool completely.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 488 calories, 18g fat (5g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 304mg sodium, 75g carbohydrate (50g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Jul 8, 2019
Delectable cake! I made it as the recipe stated. Barely cooled and gone! Next I tried orange extract in cake instead of lemon and no lemon zest or juice in glaze just 5Tb frozen OJ concentrate (not diluted) and fresh orange zest Incredible cake. I tried again making it all lemon, lemon extract as stated no OJ in the glaze instead I used frozen lemonade concentrate and fresh lemon zest. Such a great recipe Thank you so much for sharing it. Its my go to recipe now
May 23, 2019
I made this cake for Mother's day and the crowd went wild..Sweet delicate crumb, easy to put together. Family loves cake and lemon and this was the perfect cake to celebrate our mother's.
May 1, 2019
This is a delicious cake recipe! I made one change to the directions, but didn't change any ingredients. Instead of the glaze being poured into the cake, I added a tiny bit more powdered sugar and made a pourable glaze over the top. The other thing, it took 20 mins longer to bake than the directions stated. That didn't effect the taste any, it was wonderful!