Citrus Cornmeal Cake
Cornmeal adds a rustic quality to this delicate dessert flavored with citrus and almond. It’s sure to be a staple in your recipe collection and also makes a great holiday party hostess gift. —Roxanne Chan, Albany, California
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1/2 cup lemon yogurt
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 2 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 can (15 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 3 tablespoons sliced almonds
- Coat a 9-in. fluted tart pan with removable bottom with cooking spray. In a large bowl, beat the yogurt, honey, oil, egg, egg whites and extract until well blended. Combine the flour, cornmeal and baking powder; gradually beat into yogurt mixture until blended. Stir in orange zest.
- Pour into prepared pan. Arrange oranges over batter; sprinkle with almonds. Bake at 350° until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, .25-30 minutesCool on a wire rack for 10 minutes before cutting. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 240 calories, 9g fat (1g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 85mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Citrus Cornmeal Cake in Healthy Cooking December/January 2011
Apr 29, 2019
Would love to save this recipe but there are obviously ingredients missing. Please resend.
Jan 11, 2011
This is a wonderful mix of sweet & savory...even my husband liked it!