Blueberry Citrus Cake
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- CITRUS FROSTING:
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 2 cups whipped topping
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, eggs, orange juice and oil; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Fold in blueberries and peels. Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, combine cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add the confectioners' sugar, orange juice and peels; beat until blended. Fold in whipped topping.
- Spread frosting between layers and over the top and sides of cake. Refrigerate until serving.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 472 calories, 19g fat (9g saturated fat), 71mg cholesterol, 347mg sodium, 73g carbohydrate (53g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 22, 2013
The taste of this is great, however the "icing" is terrible! It is a sloppy runny mess. The cake tastes amazing, but next time I make this, I will make a lot less of the icing and with only half a cup of whipped cream.
May 20, 2013
This was the best cake I have ever made and ever tasted. There were 5 adults and not one piece was left. Everyone loved it.
Sep 4, 2012
I added crushed pineapple (drained) to the icing. My family loved it!!!!
Jun 24, 2012
Great recipe!!! Really tasty and such easy ingredients! Everyone was very impressed by this cake and there was definitely none left over! :)
Dec 21, 2011
I made this cake for my husband's birthday. Everyone's reaction was OMG! OMG! It is the ONLY cake I've ever made that was completely GONE at the end of the meal. We gave a piece to our neighbor and hedidn't even wait for a fork before he dug in. This cake is very light and flavorful. Very, very good. My daughter requested it for her birthday, too, so we'll be enjoying it again soon.
May 31, 2011
Very light and refreshing! My family LOVED it. Great for summer gatherings.
May 27, 2011
Can I use a white cake mix with this recipe?
Sep 22, 2010
I made this for a Labor Day gathering. It was BIG hit, with requests to make it again. I made it in a 9x13" cake pan, adjusting the baking time to a little less than what was on the box mix. I made and used the entire frosting recipe. It really was a delicious dessert!
Sep 2, 2010
This has become my all-time favorite cake recipe. Quick and easy to prepare--- and yes, I use frozen (unthawed) blueberries all the time. Simply the best!!
Jul 22, 2010
I'd love to try this recipe, but does anyone know how frozen blueberries would work in it? Should they be thawed or left frozen? Thanks