Lemon Blueberry Cornmeal Cake
I lightened up this quick and easy dessert by making a few substitutions. Because the treat is so sweet, no one will know it's healthy, too.—Roxanne Chan, Albany, California.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup lemon yogurt
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 3 tablespoons slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup reduced-sugar orange marmalade, warmed
- Preheat oven to 350°. Coat a 9-in. fluted tart pan with removable bottom with cooking spray. In a large bowl, beat egg whites, egg, yogurt, honey, oil, lemon peel and extract until well blended. In another bowl, whisk flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into yogurt mixture.
- Transfer batter to prepared pan; top with blueberries and almonds. Bake 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Drizzle marmalade over warm cake. Cool on a wire rack; serve warm or at room temperature.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 250 calories, 9g fat (1g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 156mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Lemon Blueberry Cornmeal Cake in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes 2016
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.