Lemon Poppy Seed Cake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
- 1 package lemon cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant lemon pudding mix
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/3 cup poppy seeds
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Additional confectioners' sugar, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine cake and pudding mix. Add the water, oil, eggs and extracts. Beat for 30 seconds on low speed. Beat for 2 minutes on medium speed. Stir in poppy seeds. Pour into a greased 10-in. fluted tube pan.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 50-60 minutes. Cool in pan 10 minutes before inverting onto a wire rack.
- Combine confectioners' sugar and lemon juice; brush over warm cake. Cool. Dust with additional confectioners' sugar if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 253 calories, 11g fat (2g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 334mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Jul 16, 2016
This cake is absolutely wonderful. I make it over and over again following the recipe exactly for the cake. I bake it in a tube pan and frost it with Duncan Hines Lemon Supreme frosting.
Jan 15, 2015
This cakes bakes up a beautiful yellow color and a fabulous lemon taste! The cake did not taste of fake lemon but instead a light refreshing lemon taste. I made it as directed except used 5 mini-loaves instead of a bundt pan. Wrapped individually and gave away as gifts. With or without powdered sugar this is a winning cake!
Feb 19, 2013
I've been making for years. Very good!What I do different is--after the cake comes out of the oven (still in pan) I poke holes with long tine fork and pour topping on. Let cool completely in pan.
May 5, 2012
would the cooking time change at all if i put it in a cake pan and what size should i use?
Jun 24, 2010
I just made this. It is fantastic! I did adjust the cooking time to 30 minutes.
Feb 3, 2010
At what point in the recipe do you add the eggs? Would like an answer.
Aug 8, 2009
The recipe doesn't state in the directions when to add the eggs. I'm making it now for a picnic this afternoon....hope it comes out as good as it sounds!
Jun 2, 2009
The best pound cake I have ever made or tasted.