Country Poppy Seed Cake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling
- 1/4 cup poppy seeds
- 1 package (5.1 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 teaspoons whole milk
- In a large bowl, combine the poppy seeds, pudding and cake mix. Add the oil, eggs, water and almond extract. Beat on low speed until dry ingredients are moistened. Increase speed to medium and beat for 2 minutes. Combine sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle into a greased fluted 10-in. tube pan.
- Pour batter into pan and bake at 325° for 1 hour or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow cake to cool 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack. Combine glaze ingredients and drizzle over cooled cake.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 284 calories, 12g fat (2g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 353mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 9, 2017
I have to cut this down to an annual recipe because we love it TOO much! It is now 1 of the 3 standards at Thanksgiving, with the pumpkin pie and cherry cream cheese pie.
Oct 29, 2010
I made this cake for one of my daughters friend for her birthday. When she told me what kind of cake she wanted I panicked. I had never made a poppy seed cake. It was such a hit that is the only cake they want anymore.