Contest-Winning Poppy Seed Bundt Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling
- 3 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1-1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon butter flavoring
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon butter flavoring
- In a large bowl, beat eggs, milk, oil, poppy seeds, extracts and flavoring. Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; add to egg mixture until blended.
- Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 350° for 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, combine glaze ingredients until smooth. Drizzle over cake.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 442 calories, 18g fat (3g saturated fat), 49mg cholesterol, 155mg sodium, 65g carbohydrate (43g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Jul 9, 2017
This cake is easy to make and delicious!! We love it!
Feb 8, 2017
The cake was so moist and so good! I can see how the ones daughter made it to Grand Champion at the ND state fair. Maybe I will have to see if my son would want to enter it in the county fair in WI. He has gotten merits on his foods in the past and wants to be a chef some day. I made the glaze but it was very runny and didn't stick to the cake anyways. The glaze was good though. I had the eggs at room temperature and I used rice milk at room temperature instead because my son has a severe milk allergy. I've been reading that at room temperature, eggs, butter, and milk bond and form an emulsion that traps air. During baking, the air expands, producing light, airy, evenly baked treats. I just put the eggs in warm water for about 15 minutes and warmed the milk in the microwave for about 25 seconds. It took the full 70 minutes to get done. Definitely a keeper!!!
Aug 4, 2016
My daughter used this recipe for a county fair project then sent it to the ND State Fair and won the grand champion award! She also made one to practice and we got to eat it at home and it is SO yummy!
Jan 21, 2010
So easy to make and delicious too.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.