Blueberry-Poppy Seed Brunch Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups fresh or frozen unsweetened blueberries
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- In a small bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and lemon zest. Combine the flour, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with sour cream. Beat just until combined. Spread into a greased 9-in. springform pan.
- For topping, in a small bowl, combine the sugar, flour and nutmeg; gently stir in blueberries until coated. Sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes on a wire rack; remove sides of pan.
- In a small bowl, whisk confectioners' sugar and milk until smooth; drizzle over cake. Refrigerate leftovers.
Editor's NoteIf using frozen blueberries, use without thawing to avoid discoloring the batter.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 387 calories, 16g fat (9g saturated fat), 67mg cholesterol, 235mg sodium, 57g carbohydrate (37g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Apr 3, 2016
Delicious! Served for a special Sunday breakfast and everyone raved about it. I used Greek yogurt instead of sour cream.
Oct 2, 2014
This cake is delicious! The only thing I changed was putting only a dash of nutmeg in the topping and adding a 1/4 teaspoon or so of lemon zest to the glaze.
Nov 9, 2013
Very yummy! I did 1/4 C applesauce, and 1/4 C butter and a little less sugar (to make up for the sweetness in the applesauce!) and the cake was very moist. Next time I might try to add some vanilla, or almond, extract to the glaze. Thank you for sharing!
Sep 28, 2011
I have made this several times now, both with fresh & frozen blueberries, and it always turns out great! It's one of my family's favorites!
May 13, 2010
This was a very easy but very tasty brunch cake. I made this for a Mother's Day brunch and everyone RAVED about it. The cake part was a tad on the dry side, but overall a definite "make again" recipe.
May 5, 2010
Delicious! I used mixed frozen berries since that was what I had and it tasted great!
May 4, 2010
This is really nice!!! Yummy !!!