Blueberry Oat Cake
This is my favorite blueberry recipe. Everyone in my family likes it, so I make it rather frequently. It's moist, nutritious and very easy to make.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, optional
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs, buttermilk, brown sugar and oil. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; gradually add to batter until blended. Fold in the oats, blueberries and walnuts if desired.
- Transfer to a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 375° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Dust with confectioners' sugar.
Editor's NoteIf using frozen blueberries, use without thawing to avoid discoloring the batter.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 240 calories, 9g fat (1g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 249mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Blueberry Oat Cake in Country April/May 2000
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.