Contest-Winning Chocolate Potato Cake
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup cold mashed potatoes (without added milk and butter)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- CARAMEL ICING:
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup evaporated milk
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add potatoes and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Stir in nuts.
- Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For icing, in a saucepan over low heat, cook butter and brown sugar until butter is melted and mixture is smooth. Stir in evaporated milk; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; cool to room temperature. Stir in confectioners' sugar and vanilla until smooth. Spread between layers and over top of cake.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 671 calories, 31g fat (15g saturated fat), 101mg cholesterol, 374mg sodium, 94g carbohydrate (71g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein.
Sep 14, 2015
This is the exact recipe that my grandmother used to make for all of my birthdays when I was a girl in school. I highly recommend this cake and can't think of any changes that would make it better. FIVE STARS PLUS
Jan 23, 2013
A dense , moist light chocolate taste...Very good..I made this into cup cakes..with a chocolate frosting topping. I am making this tomorrow as well for a young women's activity with a chocolate gauche filling and light flavored chocolate frosting..Yumm ~~
Oct 20, 2011
Best homemade chocolate cake ever! My picky little siblings adored it (I did not tell them about the potato)! I used raw sugar instead of regular sugar, and rice milk instead of regular milk. Turned out great.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.