Coconut Poppy Seed Cake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup poppy seeds
- 3-1/2 cups cold whole milk
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 2 packages (3.4 ounces each) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1/3 cup sweetened shredded coconut, toasted, optional
- Prepare cake according to package directions, adding coconut and poppy seeds to batter.
- Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 20-25 minutes. Cool completely.
- In a large bowl, whisk the milk, extract and pudding mixes for 2 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set. Spread over the cake. Spread with whipped topping. Sprinkle with toasted coconut if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 211 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 231mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Dec 26, 2014
Made this and took to a church luncheon. It got a lot of thumbs up! I will be making it again.
Jul 13, 2014
easy and handy, the taste was a little too synthetic from all the mixes - too much salt, too much sugar for my taste. won't be making again.
Jul 11, 2014
Jun 17, 2014
I would give this cake a good but not excellent rating. I've tasted better and more moist cakes than this. It was not memorable enough for me to repeat again.
Jun 8, 2014
Husband likes this cake a lot!! Delish :)
Jun 5, 2014
Try using Instant Coconut pudding in place of the vanilla.....makes it even more of a coconut flavor...
Jun 5, 2014
I have been making this cake for years for my catering job, and it was delicious....unfortunately, I did stop making it because of the poppy seeds. I cater for a lot of people and quite a few of them get drug tested for their jobs - they just don't do poppy seeds - great summer dessert though
Jun 4, 2013
Possibly my favorite cake...
Apr 5, 2012
I made this when I had guests for dinner. Absolutely fabulous!
Feb 8, 2011
This is my GO TO dessert recipe! I love it. It's so light, it's wonderful for summer.