Poppy Seed Lemon Scones
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 15 min.
- LEMON CURD:
- 2 large Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup cold butter
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Additional sugar
- In a heavy saucepan or top of a double boiler, beat eggs and sugar. Stir in butter, lemon juice and zest. Cook and stir over low heat or simmering water for 15 minutes or until mixture reaches 160° and is thickened. Cover and refrigerate until chilled (may be stored in the refrigerator for up to 1 week).
- For scones, combine the flour, sugar, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl. Cut in butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Combine milk and lemon juice; stir into crumb mixture just until blended (dough will be soft).
- Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead gently six times. Shape into a ball. Pat dough into an 8-in. circle; cut into eight wedges. Separate wedges and place 1 in. apart on a greased baking sheet. Sprinkle with additional sugar.
- Bake at 425° for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from pan to wire rack. Serve warm with the lemon curd.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 419 calories, 19g fat (11g saturated fat), 100mg cholesterol, 444mg sodium, 58g carbohydrate (32g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Jun 16, 2016
These are wonderful. I've been making them since the recipe was first published. They always turn out. They are quite large so I have occasionally made two circles and cut them into 16 triangles. This is my favorite lemon curd recipe.
Sep 11, 2012
wonderful and moist.. I added lemon zest and crushed almonds.. these are indeed wonderful with lemon curd.
Jul 20, 2011
Very tasty!...especially with the lemon curd.
Feb 25, 2011
Absolutely loved this recipe, moist and great with the lemon curd. My family really took to this recipe.
Sep 8, 2010
Great scone. Moist on the inside, crunchy on the out, although I would add more sugar, especially if not eating it with the curd.
Mar 25, 2009
Yum!These are delicious! I baked these last night to bring into work today. When I tried one last night I couldn't stop at just one! Good thing I made a double batch! The lemon Curd is what makes these scones, it adds a needed sweetness.I was surprised at how easy this was to make. I will definitely make these again!
Jan 8, 2009
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.