Lemon Layer Cake
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 3 large egg yolks, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Optional: Lemon slices or edible flowers
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line bottoms of 2 greased 9-in. round baking pans with parchment; grease parchment.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and egg yolks, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in lemon zest and juice. In a small bowl, mix sour cream and milk. In another bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream mixture.
- Transfer to prepared pans. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 24-28 minutes. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks; remove parchment. Cool slightly.
- For syrup, in a small saucepan, combine sugar and lemon juice. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced by half. Cool completely.
- For frosting, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth; beat in confectioners’ sugar, lemon juice and salt until blended.
- Using a long serrated knife, cut each cake horizontally in half. Brush layers with warm syrup; cool completely.
- Place 1 cake layer on a serving plate; spread with 1 cup frosting. Repeat layers twice. Top with remaining cake layer. Frost top and sides with remaining frosting. If desired, top with lemon slices or edible flowers. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 841 calories, 48g fat (30g saturated fat), 219mg cholesterol, 656mg sodium, 96g carbohydrate (72g sugars, 1g fiber), 8g protein.
May 3, 2019
Does anyone know if this recipe can be doubled and also made into cupcakes?
Apr 24, 2019
I made this cake for Easter and it was a big hit. Even people who claimed they didn't like lemon raved about it. I added slightly more lemon zest than called for, just so I could use up a whole lemon. I also greased the sides of the cake pans out of an abundance of caution
Apr 19, 2019
Love Lemon - and this has all the qualities a Lemon Cake Needs, made this for Easter last year and will make it this Easter too, as everyone loved it.
Apr 17, 2019
I'm a sucker for all things lemon. You can appreciate the work that goes into a 'from scratch' cake. It's delicious!!! Attn: Reviewer Kristina - the 'print' button is located directly under the recipe picture.
Feb 12, 2019
How can I print out this recipe?