Coconut Citrus Layer Cake
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + chilling Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 2/3 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 3 large eggs
- GRAPEFRUIT FILLING:
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup water
- 2/3 cup ruby red grapefruit juice
- 1 tablespoon butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup whipped cream cheese
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon ruby red grapefruit juice
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 3/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- Additional coconut, toasted, optional
- Orange and grapefruit slices
- Preheat oven to 350°. Combine first eight ingredients; beat on low speed 30 seconds. Increase speed to medium; beat 2 minutes. Pour into two greased and floured 8-in. round pans. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 28-32 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, for grapefruit filling, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt in a large saucepan. Stir in water and grapefruit juice until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to medium; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat; gently stir in butter. Cool to room temperature without stirring. Cover and refrigerate filling until cold.
- Place one cooled cake layer on a serving plate; top with half of cooled grapefruit filling. Repeat layers.
- For frosting, beat cream cheese, sugar, juices and orange zest until blended. Gently fold in whipped cream and 3/4 cup coconut. Frost sides of cake; if desired, lightly frost top of cake, covering grapefruit filling. Refrigerate until cold, 3-4 hours. Sprinkle with toasted coconut if desired. Top with orange and grapefruit slices.
Nutrition Facts1 slice (calculated without garnish): 481 calories, 25g fat (12g saturated fat), 95mg cholesterol, 430mg sodium, 60g carbohydrate (40g sugars, 0 fiber), 5g protein.
Apr 30, 2019
What a lovely cake! So light and refreshing! I can't believe that I am the first person to leave a review. Who knew that curd was so easy to make. I will definitely be using this frosting recipe on many other cakes, too. I substituted more orange juice in place of the ruby red grapefruit juice because of medications I take. I can't wait to try this recipe using only pineapple juice. (FYI - I omitted the zest) Please make this cake. You won't be disappointed!!