Coconut Cake Supreme
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 2 cups sour cream
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Fresh mint leaves and red gumdrops, optional
- Prepare and bake cake according to package directions in two 9-in. round baking pans. Cool in pans for 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- For filling, in a large bowl, combine sour cream and sugar. Stir in coconut (filling will be soft). Set aside 1 cup of filling for frosting.
- Cut each cake horizontally into two layers. Place bottom layer on a serving plate; top with a third of the filling. Repeat layers twice. Top with the remaining cake layer.
- Fold reserved filling into whipped topping; frost cake. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours. Garnish with mint and gumdrops if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 500 calories, 18g fat (13g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 322mg sodium, 78g carbohydrate (59g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Nov 9, 2015
This is just what i wanted. I've had this cake before and my family loves it. So it's a keeper! And it's really easy! I made 9" cakes and used a recipe and a half. I cut three layers in half to make 6 layers. Awesome!
Apr 9, 2015
Excellent Coconut Cake! My family loved it.
Feb 19, 2015
My favorite Coconut Cake recipe, very good and super easy
Jul 24, 2014
I've also made this since first seeing it in TOH many years ago. It is always a hit! I have used a lemon cake mix in lieu of the yellow cake mix and it is delicious! I rarely get a second piece. One of the most simple yet amazingly good cake recipes ever.
Jun 6, 2014
very easy to make and good tasting
Apr 1, 2014
I made this cake for a funeral shortly after receiving my Taste of Home magazine. I had rave reviews from others, though I hadn't tasted it. I have made it many times over the years. Usually I use white cake mix instead of yellow. I no longer have mint growing in my yard and miss that extra touch for the decoration. My daughter just asked for the recipe and I was happy it popped up when I searched online so that I don't have to copy it out for her.
Jan 1, 2014
This cake was just ok. I decided to try it because it looked easy, had mostly positive reviews, and my husband loves coconut.The filling was very soupy, so I only used a small amount between the layers so they would not slide off each other. I had a lot of filling/frosting left over. I added extra coconut to the frosting, but it still didn't taste very "coconut-y". I don't know if I will make this cake again.
Feb 9, 2013
This cake was very good , I used a white cake mix , that's what I had on hand and I added a few drops of coconut extract.
Mar 20, 2012
I made this along time ago for Easter and want to make it again this year! It is so scrumptious and easy so you don't have to spend a lot of time on it =0)
Jan 1, 2012
I have this recipe many times since I 1st saw in the Taste of Home magazine & it is always a hit! It so good! I love how super easy the cake is to make! I recommend it to anyone:)