Incredible Coconut Cake
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 25 min. + chilling
- 5 eggs, separated
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2-1/4 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups sweetened shredded coconut, chopped
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 11 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 4-1/3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/4 teaspoons coconut extract
- 2 cups sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325°. In another large bowl, beat sugar, butter and oil until well blended. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Stir in coconut and extracts..
- Add cream of tartar to egg whites; with clean beaters, beat on medium until stiff peaks form. Fold a fourth of the egg whites into batter, then fold in remaining whites.
- Transfer to three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add confectioners’ sugar and extract; beat until smooth.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with 1/2 cup frosting and sprinkle with 1/3 cup coconut. Repeat. Top with remaining cake layer. Spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake; sprinkle with remaining coconut. Refrigerate for 2 hours before cutting. Store in the refrigerator.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 689 calories, 37g fat (21g saturated fat), 123mg cholesterol, 353mg sodium, 85g carbohydrate (64g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Jan 19, 2020
Great recipe I made cupcakes and they turned out good.
Jan 2, 2020
I think one of the earlier reviewers and me as well, were confused by the wording in this recipe. You say to Stir in coconut and extracts. This does not mean to stir in the actual flaked coconut. I would recommend to change to Stir in extracts.
Dec 20, 2019
Do you need to refrigerate this cake?
Aug 19, 2019
Delicious cake!!! I doubled the flavors. I added almond and vanilla extract to the frosting...superb
Jul 1, 2019
Make cake only. Excellent flavor.
May 13, 2019
OMG.... what an amazing cake!! I used coconut oil instead of canola and I skipped the almond extract since my husband is allergic to it. I substituted half coconut and vanilla extracts in its place. I also added an extra half teaspoon of coconut extract to the frosting. I thoroughly enjoyed making this cake!
Apr 28, 2019
Best coconut cake Ive ever had! Used coconut oil instead of canola ,the only deviation from the recipe.
Mar 27, 2019
Absolutely the best coconut cake! Made this for my husband for his birthday. He is begging me to make another one. Coconut fudge is one of my favorite indulgences when I can ever find it. This cake is like the dessert version of coconut fudge! So moist and decadent !! Highly recommend this one!!!
Jul 23, 2018
This cake is amazing! While making it, I usually double the flavorings in the cake itself to add a more intense flavor, and toast an extra cup of coconut to cover the entire outside surface of the cake. This is easily one of my family's favorite desserts. It is also so easy to make, and looks beautiful. It's perfect for a potluck or other event in which you need a dessert. You are sure to outdo many of the other cakes with this delectable masterpiece!
Apr 19, 2018
I've been baking for about 4 years. This was the best cake I have made to date. For frosting I used 8 oz cream cheese , 8 oz butter, and about a pound of sugar. SO GOOD. The cake was just out of this world. Tender and sweet and buttery with a delicate, moist crumb. The next time I make it, I will fill it with pastry cream and coconut. I think that would take this over the top. Thanks so much for sharing this recipe!!