Best Vanilla Buttercream
Why is this recipe crowned the best vanilla buttercream frosting? With its powerfully decadent vanilla bean flavor and delightfully creamy texture, your family and friends will scrape off every last bit of this frosting on their plates. mdash;Margaret Knoebel, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + cooling
- 6 ounces white baking chips
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 6 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups unsalted butter, cubed
- In a microwave, melt baking chips with cream until smooth, stirring every 30 seconds. Stir in vanilla paste and extract. Set aside to cool slightly. Meanwhile, in a heatproof bowl of a stand mixer, whisk egg whites, sugar, cream of tartar and salt until blended. Place over simmering water in a large saucepan over medium heat. Whisking constantly, heat mixture until a thermometer reads 160°, 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from heat. With whisk attachment of stand mixer, beat on high speed until cooled to 90°, about 7 minutes. Gradually beat in butter, a few tablespoons at a time, on medium speed until smooth. Beat in cooled baking chip mixture until blended.