- 2 cups sour cream
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 package (14 ounces) sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (3 ounces) orange gelatin
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, well drained
- In a small bowl, combine the sour cream, sugar and orange juice. Beat in coconut. Cover and refrigerate. In large bowl, combine the cake mix, gelatin, water, oil and eggs; mix well.
- Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Split each cake into two horizontal layers. Set aside 1 cup of the coconut filling; spread remaining filling between cake layers. Refrigerate. In a chilled large bowl, beat cream until stiff peaks form; fold into reserved filling. Frost the top and sides of cake. Garnish with oranges. Store in the refrigerator.
1 piece: 550 calories, 27g fat (17g saturated fat), 67mg cholesterol, 310mg sodium, 72g carbohydrate (56g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.