Coconut Fudge Cake
“A big piece of this moist cake is a chocolate and coconut devotee's dream," notes Johnnie. "You should see my husband, children and grandkids smile when I serve it.”
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 3 cups all-purpose flour plus 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 3 Eggland's Best eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 cup cold brewed coffee
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- CHOCOLATE GLAZE:
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 2 to 3 tablespoons hot water
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Grease a 10-in. fluted tube pan with shortening and lightly coat with flour; set aside. In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, 1/4 cup sugar, 1 egg and 1 teaspoon vanilla until smooth. Toss chocolate chips and coconut with 1 tablespoon flour; fold into cream cheese mixture and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the buttermilk, oil, coffee, and remaining eggs and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt and remaining sugar; add to buttermilk mixture, beating just until combined. Fold in pecans.
- Pour half of the batter into prepared pan; sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon of flour. Spoon reserved cream cheese mixture over batter to within 1/2 in. of edges; top with remaining batter.
- Bake at 350° for 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 20-25 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, combine glaze ingredients until smooth. Drizzle over cake.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 543 calories, 29g fat (8g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 508mg sodium, 67g carbohydrate (44g sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein.
Originally published as Coconut-Fudge Cake in Country Woman February/March 2008
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.