Mandarin Orange Cake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, undrained
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, eggs, applesauce and oranges. Beat on low speed for 30 seconds; beat on medium for 2 minutes.
- Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 325° for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- In another bowl, beat whipped topping, pineapple and pudding mix. Spread between layers and over top and sides of cake. Chill.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 308 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 399mg sodium, 54g carbohydrate (33g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 14, 2018
This sounds yummy but just an FYI, it is not vegetarian if you use jello. Jello is made with gelitan which comes from animal bones.
May 10, 2018
This was a "HIT" and I'm making it today for the "3rd" time! It makes me look like a star!
Oct 21, 2016
Simple cake but a refreshing flavor and different than other cakes.
Dec 21, 2014
I initially made this cake 22 yrs ago; for a potluck at work. It received rave reviews, and I received regular requests from coworkers to make it afterwards. I'm making it now, for a new group of coworkers; and feel very confident that it'll be well received. I add a little mandarin oranges AND crushed pineapple to the cake mix. Yummy!
Apr 25, 2014
I have made this cake for years. My version uses one yellow cake mix, one stick of butter, one can oranges w/juices, 1/2 cup oil and 4 eggs. Frosting is the same. Wonderful every time.
Jun 26, 2013
This is a wonderful light tasting cake. I made it for a card group and they all had seconds. Will make this again.
Apr 3, 2013
This cake is so delicious, it is very moist and sooo easy to make!
Feb 19, 2013
For my version, I created the pudding and whipped cream frosting from scratch and substituted mandarin oranges peeled by hand, not from a can. Otherwise, I followed the recipe. My family loved this delicious cake, even with the changes.
Feb 9, 2013
This is so good and easy to make
Feb 8, 2012
I have to say...I found this recipe in a TOH book years ago and made it. It was an instant hit...so much so, that my husband requested it as our wedding cake! I actually supplied the recipe to our baker and she made just a couple adjustments - like adding orange liqueur and a different frosting. Its been fabulous both ways!