Lemon Rhubarb Tube Cake
This dessert practically screams summer. The fresh lemon flavor in the cake and the tart rhubarb topping are just so refreshing. —Courtney Stultz, Weir, Kansas
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
- 3 medium lemons
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- RHUBARB TOPPING:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1 cup halved fresh strawberries
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour a 10-in. fluted tube pan. Finely grate enough zest from lemons to measure 2 tablespoons. Cut lemons crosswise in half; squeeze juice from lemons.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in lemon juice and zest. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Transfer batter to prepared pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 50-60 minutes. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool.
- Meanwhile, for topping, combine sugar and rhubarb in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer until rhubarb is almost tender, 8-10 minutes. Add halved strawberries; cook until strawberries and rhubarb are softened. Serve with cake. If desired, dust with confectioners' sugar.
Test Kitchen Tip
Try replacing the strawberries with chopped apples for a uniquely different flavor twist!
Nutrition Facts1 slice with 1/4 cup sauce: 481 calories, 17g fat (10g saturated fat), 88mg cholesterol, 371mg sodium, 78g carbohydrate (53g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Lemon Rhubarb Bundt Cake in Taste of Home June/July 2019
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.