Lemon Cream Pie
With its creamy lemon filling and cinnamon-enhanced graham cracker crust, this lovely pie is always popular. "I like to garnish the whipped topping with pretty lemon peel curls," notes Maria Dygert of Auburn, New York.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 15 min. + chilling
- 1-1/4 cups reduced-fat cinnamon graham crackers crumbs (about 7 whole crackers)
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon plus 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 5 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 2-1/2 cups reduced-fat whipped topping
- In a small bowl, combine the cracker crumbs, butter and 1 tablespoon sugar. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of a 9-in. pie plate coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a heavy saucepan, combine the cornstarch, salt and remaining sugar. Gradually stir in water and buttermilk until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg substitute. Return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir in lemon juice and peel. Pour into crust.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours. Just before serving, spread whipped topping over filling.
Editor's Note:: This recipe was test with Blue Bonnet light stick margarine.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 252 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 227mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 fat.
Originally published as Lemon Cream Pie in Light & Tasty February/March 2005
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 27, 2014
NEVER MADE ONE BEFORE, BECAUSE I LOST THE RECIPE, SO NOW I WILL GIVE IT A TRY. I LOVE THIS WEBSITE.
May 31, 2008
I like lemon cakes.
May 31, 2008
I love lemon cakes