Lemon Supreme Pie
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + cooling Bake: 25 min. + chilling
- Pastry for deep-dish pie (9 inches)
- LEMON FILLING:
- 1-1/4 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 4 to 5 drops yellow food coloring, optional
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- CREAM CHEESE FILLING:
- 11 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/2 cups whipped topping, thawed
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Additional frozen whipped topping, optional
- On a lightly floured surface, roll pie dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. deep dish pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate; flute edge. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425°. Line pastry with a double thickness of foil. Fill with pie weights, dried beans or uncooked rice. Bake on a lower oven rack 20-25 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Remove foil and weights; bake 3-6 minutes longer or until bottom is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- For lemon filling, combine 3/4 cup granulated sugar, cornstarch and salt in a small saucepan. Stir in water until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat; add remaining sugar. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly, 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in butter, lemon zest and, if desired, food coloring. Gently stir in lemon juice. Cool to room temperature, about 1 hour.
- For cream cheese filling, beat cream cheese and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Fold in whipped topping and lemon juice. Spread over pie shell.
- Cover cream cheese filling with lemon filling. Refrigerate entire pie overnight.
- If desired, dollop additional whipped topping over lemon filling. Refrigerate until serving.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 735 calories, 42g fat (26g saturated fat), 107mg cholesterol, 604mg sodium, 84g carbohydrate (48g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein.
Jun 1, 2018
I am really surprised that so many think this is better than lemon meringue pie. It was good, but it wasn't spectacular. There are many recipes online for a similar dessert called Lemon Lush, Lemon Delight, etc., that is made in a 9x13 baker. It's very, very similar in taste, makes a larger amount, and is much easier.
May 30, 2018
Filling is pretty tart, and very rich
May 29, 2018
I made this pie to take to a church luncheon. It looked pretty and tasted good. However, I can't say it was excellent and frankly I think a basic lemon meringue pie tastes better. I think the problem is that it had too much cream cheese & whipped cream in it and not enough lemon filling. I won't make it again.
Apr 26, 2018
I made my own pastry, and this recipe fit my deep dish pyrex pan perfectly. I used fresh lemon juice and it was extremely tart, but the cream cheese layer cut through it nicely. I am a huge classic lemon pie fan, but this is a nice twist. Like other reviewers, I cut the cornstarch by one tablespoon, and it still thickened up very quickly for me.
Apr 8, 2018
Excellent recipe! I reduced the cornstarch to 5 tablespoons like some of the other reviewers suggested, and it turned out just right. I used fresh lemon juice and no food coloring. The recipe made 2 pies, so I brought one to work, and they absolutely loved it and asked for the recipe. Thank you Jana for this recipe!
Feb 28, 2018
the deep dish pie shell i bought didn't seem very deep. This made enough for 2 pies. It was easy to make & the taste is wonderful.
Feb 18, 2018
Everything compliments each other. I'm always looking for good taste within
Feb 9, 2018
Very good pie. Recommend using fresh squeezed lemon instead of bottled lemon juice if you can.
Jan 16, 2018
One of my very first recipes to try when Toh first published their magazine.. It has remained a favorite of mine. Yesterday I was happy to revisit this favorite and felt that this first shabby review needed an updating.Its a most Wonderful Pie. Its so decadent without being overly sweet. I have reduced the amount of sugar over the years and have switched to 1/3 less fat cream cheese to make it slightly healthier. And I can still say Its One Of my All Time Favorites . Its so nice to come back and review this Contest Winning recipe as a volunteer Field Editor so many years later. This is a 5 star rating!! Not the 4 as shown!!!!Janie
Oct 30, 2017
Perfect as is. Real whipped cream is also wonderful when you are not in a rush, but I won't say whipped topping is "lazier"- especially when it is a last minute "Mom I have to bring a dessert tomorrow morning" issue! We serve modest slices of pie, not slabs, so we get 8 servings from this pie.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.