Classic Butter Pie Pastry
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + chilling
Makespastry for one 9-inch pie
- INGREDIENTS FOR SINGLE-CRUST PIE:
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 3 to 4 tablespoons ice water
- INGREDIENTS FOR DOUBLE-CRUST PIE:
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/3 to 2/3 cup ice water
- Combine flour and salt; cut in butter until crumbly. Gradually add ice water, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed.
- For a single-crust pie: Shape into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 1 hour or overnight.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate; flute edge. Fill or bake according to recipe directions.
- For a double-crust pie: Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 1 hour or overnight.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll one half of dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry even with rim. Add filling. Roll remaining dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle. Place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edge. Cut slits in top. Bake according to recipe directions.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 173 calories, 12g fat (7g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 165mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Oct 9, 2016
This will now be my go to pie crust! It is delicious and so easy to make.
May 4, 2015
I have been making my pie crust with real butter for years. Reviewers are right -- you need to double the complete recipe for a two-crust pie. Butter will make a much tastier crust.
Jan 16, 2015
I used this to make a gluten free crust. I used cup for cup gluten free flour and it was really good. Cooked up nice and tasted great too. I give credit to the butter. I only made one crust but did notice the mistake for the double crust. I would just double the recipe for the single crust not a big deal.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.