Lattice-Topped Apple Pie
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 55 min. + cooling
- 5-1/2 cups thinly sliced peeled apples (about 6 medium)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 4-1/2 teaspoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 5 to 6 tablespoons cold water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the apples, sugar, water, tapioca, cinnamon and nutmeg; toss to coat. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt; cut in shortening until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide in half, making one half slightly larger.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out larger portion of pastry to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to plate; trim even with edge of plate. Add filling; dot with butter. Roll out remaining pastry; make a lattice crust.
- Trim, seal and flute edges. Brush with milk; sprinkle with sugar. Cover edges loosely with foil.
- Bake at 400° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 40-50 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 456 calories, 21g fat (7g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 219mg sodium, 64g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 14, 2018
my family will love it! :)
Oct 16, 2014
5 star. Great tasting and simple to make. The only change I made was to use 1/4 cup of flour mixed in with the apples instead of tapioca, I didn't have tapioca. Best apple pie ever!