Cookie Sheet Apple Pie
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 40 min.
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 cups shortening
- 6 large egg yolks
- 3/4 cup plus 4-1/2 teaspoons water
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 8 cups sliced peeled tart apples
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup crushed cornflakes
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt and baking powder. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Whisk the egg yolks, water and lemon juice; gradually add to flour mixture, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Divide dough in half so that one portion is slightly larger than the other. On a lightly floured surface, roll out larger portion to fit the bottom and sides of a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Arrange apples over crust. Combine the sugar, cornflakes, cinnamon and nutmeg; sprinkle over apples.
- Roll out remaining dough to fit top of pie; place over apples. Seal edges; cut slits in top. Brush with egg white. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 20-25 minutes longer or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 382 calories, 16g fat (4g saturated fat), 61mg cholesterol, 245mg sodium, 54g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 8, 2012
This Cookie Sheet Apple Pie is easy to make and easy to handle when eating it. The kids really liked it.
Oct 3, 2010
I was rather interested in how this would turn out with the use of corn flakes, lemon juice and egg yolks - but it was really great. I took it to a fall BBQ and it got raves. I liked everything about this dish and will defiantly make it again. The only thing I did differently was add some sugar to the crust dough and I rolled it out moist, instead of letting it set up in the refrigerator. Mined turned out just like the photo and was great to share with a lot of people.