Apple Meringue Pie
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 7 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 2 large egg yolks, beaten
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice. In a small bowl, whisk sugar, flour, milk, egg yolks and lemon zest until smooth. Pour over apples and toss to coat.
- Line a 9-in. pie plate with pastry; trim to 1/2 in. beyond edge of pie plate and flute edges. Pour filling into crust; dot with butter. Cover edges loosely with foil.
- Bake at 400° for 20 minutes. Remove foil; bake 25-30 minutes longer or until apples are tender. Reduce heat to 350°.
- In a bowl, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until foamy. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high just until stiff peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- Spread evenly over hot filling, sealing edges to crust. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 324 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 142mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (39g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Sep 28, 2013
i found it to be a lil too sweet for my liking but will know for next time to reduce sugar... but all in all a good easy recipe to follow
Nov 25, 2011
I omitted the cinnamon and add crushed peppermint candy to the meringue. It disappeared at the country club I worked at.
Oct 28, 2011
I agree that cinnamon and nutmeg should be added to the apples to give them the proper apple pie flavor. In response to the question about the meringue.....The meringue should ALWAYS to put on piping-hot filling and NEVER on cold filling. The hot filing begins cooking the meringue. The heat carried by the filling begins to cook the base of the meringue slightly, and makes it less prone to shrinking or "weeping".
Oct 21, 2011
I just tried this recipe, couple things wrong... 1.) What's apple pie without cinnamon? I added 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon to this.That improved the flavor. 2.) When you add the meringue to the "hot" filling, said filling melts and looses the custard like texture. Shouldn't the meringue be added after filling cools, like normal pies with meringue? Anybody have ideas to solve the second issue?
Nov 24, 2009
This is a favorite at our house every Thanksgiving and Christmas! Wonderful take on the traditional apple pie!! Looks perfect on the dessert table!!