Farm Apple Pan Pie
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 50 min.
- EGG YOLK PASTRY:
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1-1/2 cups shortening
- 2 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup cold water
- 5 pounds tart apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Whole milk
- Additional sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder; cut in shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine yolks and cold water. Sprinkle over dry ingredients; toss with fork. If needed, add additional water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until mixture can be formed into a ball.
- Divide dough in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll half of dough to fit a 15x10 x1-in. baking pan.
- Sprinkle apples with lemon juice; arrange half of them over dough. Combine the sugars, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt; sprinkle half over apples. Top with remaining apples; sprinkle with remaining sugar mixture.
- Roll remaining pastry to fit pan; place on top of filling and seal edges. Brush with milk and sprinkle with sugar. Cut vents in top pastry. Bake at 400° for 50 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 317 calories, 13g fat (3g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 86mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 3g fiber), 3g protein.
Feb 16, 2013
I'm making this Apple pie right now if it taste as good as it looks then its deffinatly going to taste amazing I will right another reveiw once i have tasted it but i cant until tomorrow im making it for a family get together!This recipe is deffinatly a keeper tastes absolutly delicious I have made it for the 2nd time already! And its deffinatly my go to recipe for apple pie!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.