Lattice-Topped Pear Slab Pie
A lattice top serves as a charming frame for this special holiday dessert filled with fresh pears and candied fruit. Add a dollop of whipped cream if you like. —Johnna Johnson, Scottsdale, Arizona
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 8 cups thinly sliced peeled fresh pears (about 7 medium)
- 1 cup chopped mixed candied fruit
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- 3 tablespoons coarse sugar
- In a small bowl, beat butter, cream cheese, sugar and salt until blended. Gradually beat in flour. Divide dough in two portions so that one portion is slightly larger than the other. Shape each into a rectangle; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°. For filling, in a large bowl, combine sugar, flour and lemon peel. Add pears and candied fruit; toss to coat.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out larger portion of dough into an 18x13-in. rectangle. Transfer to a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of pan; add filling.
- Roll out remaining dough to a 1/8-in.-thick rectangle; cut into 1/2-in.-wide strips. Arrange over filling in a lattice pattern. Trim and seal strips to edge of bottom pastry. Brush pastry with milk; sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake 40-45 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack.
Originally published as Latticed Candied Fruit/ Pear Tart in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2015
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.