Apple Pear Pie
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1 hour
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 3 medium ripe pears, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 medium tart apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup plus 1 teaspoon sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon whole milk
- Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom pastry; trim to 1 in. beyond edge of plate. In a large bowl, combine the pears, apples, 1 cup sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon and nutmeg. Transfer mixture to crust; dot with butter.
- Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; cut slits or decorative cutouts in pastry. Place over filling; trim, seal and flute edges. Add decorative cutouts if desired. Brush with milk; sprinkle with remaining sugar. Cover edges loosely with foil.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Remove foil; bake 30-35 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
Test Kitchen tip
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 438 calories, 19g fat (9g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 244mg sodium, 67g carbohydrate (38g sugars, 2g fiber), 2g protein.
Oct 20, 2019
Delicious, but NEEDS a thickener. Came out as soup. Tasty, tasty soup.
Jan 7, 2018
Made as written except added a handful of walnuts on top before putting the top crust on. Hubby and I really liked it!
Sep 25, 2011
I made this last night and it turned out amazingly well. There are a few things I would do differently but they all have to do with the crust and not the filling for the pie. I loved how thinly the fruit was suggested to be sliced. I would definitely make this pie again!
Jan 6, 2011
Delicious and super simple to make.
Oct 16, 2010
delicious and easy to make