Apple Cranberry Slab Pie
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- Pastry for two double-crust pies (9 inches)
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 medium tart apples, peeled and sliced (about 4-1/2 cups)
- 4 cups frozen or fresh raspberries
- 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Additional orange juice and sugar, optional
- Divide pastry dough into two portions so that one is slightly larger than the other; wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 1 hour or overnight.
- In a Dutch oven, mix sugar and flour; stir in fruit, orange zest, orange juice and spices. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10-12 minutes or until apples are tender and juices are thickened, stirring occasionally. Cool slightly.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Roll out larger portion of pastry dough between two pieces of waxed paper into a 16x12-in. rectangle. Remove top sheet of waxed paper; place a 13x9-in. baking pan upside down over pastry. Lifting with waxed paper, carefully invert pastry into pan. Remove waxed paper; press pastry onto bottom and up sides of pan. Add filling.
- On a well-floured surface, roll remaining dough into a 14x10-in. rectangle; cut into 3/4-in.-wide strips. Arrange strips over filling, sealing ends to bottom pastry. If desired, brush pastry with additional orange juice; sprinkle with additional sugar.
- Bake 40-50 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 478 calories, 23g fat (6g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 322mg sodium, 62g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nov 22, 2018
Made this for Thanksgiving tomorrow. The filling has a bitterness to it, I'm not sure if it is from the cranberries or if my orange got over-zested. I've never baked with fresh cranberries before so I was excited to try this. I give it 4 stars only because I don't love the bitter after-taste but if it wasn't there, it would be perfection.