Apple Cranberry Slab Pie
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- Pastry for two double-crust pies (9 inches)
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 medium tart apples, peeled and sliced (about 4-1/2 cups)
- 4 cups frozen or fresh raspberries
- 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Additional orange juice and sugar, optional
- Divide pastry dough into two portions so that one is slightly larger than the other; wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 1 hour or overnight.
- In a Dutch oven, mix sugar and flour; stir in fruit, orange zest, orange juice and spices. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10-12 minutes or until apples are tender and juices are thickened, stirring occasionally. Cool slightly.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Roll out larger portion of pastry dough between two pieces of waxed paper into a 16x12-in. rectangle. Remove top sheet of waxed paper; place a 13x9-in. baking pan upside down over pastry. Lifting with waxed paper, carefully invert pastry into pan. Remove waxed paper; press pastry onto bottom and up sides of pan. Add filling.
- On a well-floured surface, roll remaining dough into a 14x10-in. rectangle; cut into 3/4-in.-wide strips. Arrange strips over filling, sealing ends to bottom pastry. If desired, brush pastry with additional orange juice; sprinkle with additional sugar.
- Bake 40-50 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 478 calories, 23g fat (6g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 322mg sodium, 62g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein.
Nov 22, 2018
Made this for Thanksgiving tomorrow. The filling has a bitterness to it, I'm not sure if it is from the cranberries or if my orange got over-zested. I've never baked with fresh cranberries before so I was excited to try this. I give it 4 stars only because I don't love the bitter after-taste but if it wasn't there, it would be perfection.