Cranberry Pecan Pie
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 45 min. + chilling
- 6 tablespoons shortening
- 1-1/2 teaspoons buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup light or dark corn syrup
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Sweetened whipped cream, optional
- Beat shortening and buttermilk until blended. Gradually add water, beating until light and fluffy. Beat in flour and salt. Shape into a disk. Wrap in plastic; refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 425°. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim crust to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edge.
- In a large bowl, whisk first 5 filling ingredients until blended. Stir in cranberries and pecans. Pour into crust.
- Bake on a lower oven rack 10 minutes. Reduce oven setting to 350°; bake until filling is almost set, 35-40 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack. Refrigerate, covered, overnight before serving. If desired, serve with whipped cream.
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 514 calories, 27g fat (7g saturated fat), 85mg cholesterol, 250mg sodium, 68g carbohydrate (52g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein.
Apr 19, 2017
used my regular crust as had some in the freezer. didnt quite set up as well as would have liked but didnt look like it should bake too much longer. great taste will make again
Nov 27, 2015
Very sweet. But good
Apr 6, 2015
I thought this sounded mighty good and I was right! It was a hit with the family at Easter. I asked everyone to rate it and they all gave it the highest. I used light corn syrup but I want to try dark next time. I would probably put more pecans in it. I also thawed fresh cranberries that I had frozen previously. They worked great. I whipped fresh cream and put it on the top. You can't lose with that!
Oct 5, 2014
This is my favorite recipe for pecan pie! I like dark corn syrup, but light would be fine too
May 15, 2014
Can I please just ask....did people use light or dark corn syrup?Adding a 5 star rating because it sounds divine.
Jan 18, 2014
What a great balance of sweet and tart with the cranberries. Definitely will be a keeper recipe.
Dec 9, 2012
In my tiny apartment with time at a premium, I had to use pre-made pie dough, which is disappointing because the recipe looks interesting. Even so, I got raves & requests for more at Thanksgiving. The cranberries really tone down the cloying sweetness of a traditional pecan pie. I came back to the recipe now because I'm going to use it as the topping for bar cookies this Chirstmas.
Feb 24, 2012
I love, love, love this pie. Couple of times it did not "set up" and I don't know why. But the last few attempts have turned out wonderful. It is delicious and I could eat the whole thing if I could handle the guilt.
Dec 23, 2011
Have make several times. Is always the first to be eaten.
Nov 24, 2011
This pie was delicious. Everyone who eats pecan pie seems to enjoy this one. The cranberries balance the richness of this super sweet holiday tradition.