Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 2 cups chopped fresh or frozen cranberries
- 5 cups fresh or frozen unsweetened raspberries, thawed
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 to 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking tapioca
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- In a large bowl, combine the cranberries, raspberries and extract. Combine the sugar, tapioca and salt. Add to fruit mixture; toss gently to coat. Let stand for 15-20 minutes.
- Line pie plate with bottom pastry; trim to 1 in. beyond edge of plate. Add filling. Roll out remaining pastry; make a lattice crust. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cover edges loosely with foil.
- Bake at 375° for 40-45 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 391 calories, 14g fat (6g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 275mg sodium, 64g carbohydrate (31g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Apr 17, 2014
I love this pie! I made it for Thanksgiving a couple of years back, and actually made a cheddar cheese crust instead, and it really complimented the tartness of the fruit! I am definitely going to make it again, it is one of my favorites.
Feb 5, 2014
Made this pie for Thanksgiving this year and it was a big hit!! I increased the sugar to 1 1/2 cups and it was still a little tangy for me. I might try making it as a crisp, with a sweeter crust next time
Dec 18, 2009
My family loves odd meals and this one is definitely odd....good though.
Dec 17, 2009
If you like a tart fruit pie, you probably will enjoy this one, too. I made it into a "crisp" instead, to save time. The cranberries of course make it tart, but did not overpower the raspberries' flavor. I love raspberries, so I thought it was a delicious combination. Looks pretty, too. I recommend 1-1/2 c. sugar (for pleasantly tart), and I also added 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon. Hubby thought it was good, a little tart, but said the sweet and crunchy crumb topping of the crisp was a nice combination with the tartness of the fruit filling. I thought it was quite good and next time I will make as a pie.