Fresh Blackberry Pie
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + standing Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup quick-cooking tapioca
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups fresh blackberries, divided
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, tapioca and salt. Add 1 cup blackberries; toss to coat. Let stand for 15 minutes. Cook and stir over medium heat until berries burst and mixture comes to a gentle boil. Remove from the heat; gently stir in remaining berries.
- Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom pastry; trim pastry even with edge of plate. Add filling; dot with butter. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in top.
- Bake at 400° for 35-40 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 426 calories, 17g fat (8g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 303mg sodium, 67g carbohydrate (32g sugars, 4g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 18, 2018
Excellent filling (I used a store-bought crust). If your berries are as fresh and firm as mine were, you might need to add a quarter cup of water.
May 21, 2018
This was a good recipe. I would’ve liked some sort of egg wash on the crust and sugar sprinkled on it to sweeten the crust a bit and help counteract the tartness of the berries. If allowed to cool this pie is nice and stiff, not runny at all.
Jun 20, 2017
This was wonderful, usually use flour to thicken fruit pie, but the tapioca was much better idea
Nov 25, 2015
The instruction though few were very vague, pie looks terrible and there's no juice....hopefully it takes better than it looks....terrible for thanksgiving...will never use this again.
Aug 31, 2015
We have a blackberry patch and it produces an abundance of blackberries every summer. This is one of my husband's favorite blackberry desserts. It is easy to prepare.
Jan 15, 2015
This recipe was so easy and the pie was delish!
Aug 12, 2014
Very good pie. Easy to make. I work all day and made it in the evening. My husband could not wait for it to cool. Very good taste
Aug 5, 2014
Fabulous pie! I have made 5 already this year, using fresh berries. I am wondering if frozen berries could be substituted?
Jun 29, 2014
I just made 2 pies using this recipe. Haven't tasted yet but the filling I tried out of the pan is yummy! I had to add a T or 2 of water when I started heating the sugar/tapioca/salt berry mixture. Can't wait to try finished pies!
May 1, 2014
I have a hard time finding recipes for black raspberries that we have near our home. I use this recipe and it does great!