Fresh Blackberry Cobbler
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 4 cups fresh blackberries
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- Vanilla ice cream, optional
- In a large saucepan, combine 1/2 cup sugar and cornstarch. Stir in blackberries and lemon juice. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Pour into a 1-1/2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and remaining sugar; cut in shortening until crumbly. Add milk; stir into flour mixture just until moistened. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto hot fruit.
- Bake at 400° for 25-30 minutes or until topping is golden brown. Serve warm with ice cream if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 262 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 306mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 6g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 2, 2017
I made a half-recipe using fresh whole blackberries and sliced strawberries, baking it in an 8" cake pan. I took the advice of one of the other reviewers and sprinkled some sparkling sugar on top. The taste is very fruit-forward and a bit tart -- other recipes have nearly twice as much sugar!
Oct 1, 2014
I used buttermilk, great easy recipe!!
Jul 20, 2014
This is a very good and easy to prepare recipe! Only thing I noticed was that the actual cobbler is quite tart without added ice cream to complement the tartness.
Oct 11, 2013
I have made this recipe several times using frozen blackberries I home grow. They cook up just like fresh. My church family ask for my cobbler every special dinner we have. This recipe is easy, I do lightly roll out the dough and cut it in equal pieces then lay them on the hot berry mixture. I like the uniform look it makes better than the drop pieces. I also lightly sprinkle granulated sugar on top of the dough before I bake it, it adds just a nice sparkle.
May 7, 2013
This was so simply and very good! Would differently make this again!
Jun 26, 2012
very simple and quick to make, I would recomend this to anyone from beginners to advanced cooks/bakers!