Favorite Blackberry Cobbler
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 3 cups fresh or frozen blackberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- BISCUIT TOPPING:
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- Whipped topping or vanilla ice cream, optional
- In a large saucepan, combine the blackberries, sugar and cinnamon. Cook and stir until mixture comes to a boil. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into fruit mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Dot with butter.
- For topping, in a small bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in milk just until moistened. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto hot berry mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until filling is bubbly and topping is golden brown. Serve warm, with whipped topping or ice cream if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 305 calories, 12g fat (7g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 286mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 3g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 27, 2019
I cut this recipe in half, used a loaf pan, and added a smudge of lemon juice to balance the sweet in the berries. It turned out fabulous using store bought blackberries. Will make again.
Apr 26, 2018
My absolute favorite cobbler. Reminds me of my Grandmother and her wonderful cooking and baking ability.
Jan 17, 2018
easiest ever for a person who works a lot. superb
Jul 27, 2017
Wonderful! Best cobbler I've ever made.
Jul 2, 2017
We loved this cobbler with vanilla ice cream!! This is an excellent comfort dessert!!
Aug 2, 2016
I have made this recipe many times, always with fresh blackberries. It always turns out wonderfully and is one of my favorite summer desserts.
Sep 9, 2015
No sure yet. It's still cooling, but the filling was so soupy. Much more filling than batter. Maybe using frozen berries was the problem and the recipe should have suggested less water? Doesn't look too promising and I'm stunned by all the positive reviews for this.
Aug 21, 2015
This is just like the blackberry cobbler my mom used to make when I was a little girl (59 now). Delicious and will be the only recipe I use for cobbler from now on.
Jul 13, 2015
The topping was soup! Do not use 1/2 cup milk. The recipe says till moist but I was in a hurry and just dumped in 1/2 cup WAY TOO MUCH. It is cooling now may be able to save it
Jul 6, 2015
This recipe is the best. I have made it a number of times since I found it last summer on Taste of Home and it is so easy and quick to make, and delicious to boot! Last week I had fresh peaches and used those in place of the blackberries, and it turned out every bit as good. Other than that I make no adjustments to the recipe.