Mama’s Blackberry Cobbler
Alabama has some tasty fresh blackberries. Fifty years ago my mama was going to pick blackberries to make a cobbler, but she went to the hospital to have me instead. This is her mama's recipe. —Lisa Allen, Joppa, Alabama
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons melted butter, divided
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups fresh blackberries or frozen unsweetened blackberries
- Preheat oven to 350°. Pour 1/2 cup melted butter into an 8-in. square baking dish. In a small bowl, combine flour, 1 cup sugar, milk and vanilla until blended; pour into prepared dish. In another bowl, combine blackberries, remaining 1/2 cup sugar and remaining 2 tablespoons melted butter; toss until combined. Spoon over batter.
- Bake until topping is golden brown and fruit is tender, 45-50 minutes. Serve warm.
Test Kitchen tip
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 491 calories, 21g fat (13g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 421mg sodium, 75g carbohydrate (56g sugars, 4g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Mama's Blackberry cobbler in Simple & Delicious February/March 2019
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.