Grandma’s Blackberry Cake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 1 cup fresh blackberries
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large Eggland's Best eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- Whipped cream, optional
- Toss blackberries with 2 tablespoons of flour; set aside. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs. Combine the baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, cloves, allspice and remaining flour; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Fold in blackberries.
- Pour into a greased and floured 9-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Serve with whipped cream if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 312 calories, 12g fat (7g saturated fat), 75mg cholesterol, 410mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Aug 22, 2016
We harvest a lot of blackberries from our bushes every summer. This is one of my husband's favorite blackberry desserts
Apr 30, 2011
Excellent recipe. I made this three times in a week and everybody I shared it with loved it, too. Doesn't need icing. Made it just as written.
Dec 12, 2010
It turned out so good! It was moist and beautiful. Would definately make again!!
Nov 10, 2008
I cannot wait to pick blackberries again for use in this recipe. eatwell68 from Charleston, WV